Monday, October 17, 2011

Personal Statements: Personal to You, Personal to the School

So I took a crack at writing my first personal statement. Vermont College of Fine Arts sent me a rather large pamphlet about their program and some of application guidelines. One of the first things recommended: “a two to three page essay that addresses your background in writing, goals and writing strengths and weaknesses (as outlines on the application form).”

VCFA also requires that I send in a “three to four page critical essay that demonstrates my ability as a reader and critical thinker; this sample may be something formal that was previously written for another class or you may write a short essay on a literary work you read recently.”
                 
My point here: READ THE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS! Most schools require some letter to be written that is around two pages long. This is the requirement for VCFA. The personal statement that I drafted up last night, does not fulfill all their requirements, so I will have to do a separate draft for them. However, my point was to simply illustrate how you need to know what they want in the personal statement. Some schools do not specify. Caela Provost sent me her personal statement and it was a huge help in writing mine. I was able to see how she highlighted her strengths and how she explained why she wanted to continue her career in English.
               
Fairfield, the program I am MOST interest in, explained what they want in their personal statement: “Students should describe why they want to be a writer and emphasize their commitment to their craft. While students in the program can work in more than one genre, they should specify which of the three genres they are applying for in their personal statement.” This is alongside the 2 letters of recommendation and the 20-30 page portfolio of writing samples.
                 
Syracuse wants: “Describe in about 500 words your main academic interests, why you wish to study for the degree you've chosen, why you wish to study at Syracuse University, how you expect to finance your studies, and your plans for the future after you receive your degree. ” Again, for this one, I would need to tweak my basic personal statement.  Syracuse also asks for a teaching statement about why you want to teach at the program and afterward. That would be a separate draft.
               
I recommend writing up a basic personal statement and then re-writing for the programs so that you manage to say everything you want in the most concise way. Writing a first draft helps you organize your thoughts about what you want to say as well.
                 
Western Connecticut asks for: “In a five-page essay, address why this particular MFA program is better suited to your goals and needs than other MFA programs. In answering this question, touch on your interest in writing and your aspirations for a future in the writing profession.”
               
                 
They’re all similar, but some want different details added in. Pat Taylor gave me a sheet with tips on writing Personal Statements. One tip was to remember your audience. It said to stick to what you’re an expert in – your life and experiences. It also says to establish your voice (confident but not arrogant), answer the question, and turn weaknesses into strengths.

                 
She then has written five topics to help writing a personal statement. One topic was to answer the question, “how did you become interested in this field?” This part can open up the essay by drawing on past experiences, such as an enjoyable English class that sparked a continuing interest.
                 
One topic was to answer “what kind of activities or experiences have you had that have contributed toward your preparation for an understanding of this field?” This might be a section where you put in internships. She writes that you can group activities or write them chronologically. But she says to NOT write it out resume style. Talk about what you did, as well as what you learned.

                 
Next, “the type of graduate study you’re interested in and the objective.” If you want to teach, SAY SO! If you want to be a publisher, SAY SO! The objective needs to be clearly defined.  She also writes how you need to talk about “Research interests.” Knowing the program you’re applying to helps in this case. What you want to research should be something already in action in that program.

                
 Finally, write about why you are so attracted to the program you are applying to. Caela wrote in how she had already studied abroad at Limerick. This is a great example of carrying this out.
               
                 
The tip sheet ends with the comment that the reader can see “for the applicant, attending graduate school is the next logical step in the sequence toward a specific goal.”

Sample statement under the link
(note: this is the very first draft, obviously in need of work)


My name is Addie DiFrancesco and I’m a recent graduate of Marist College (Class of 2012) with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication concentration in Journalism and a minor in creative writing. At Marist, I was a devoted member of the women’s cross-country and track and field teams while still graduating with high honors. Being on an athletic team encouraged me to seek to perform at my very best, no matter what the competition may have been. Both writing and running utilize a determination to see the battle through to the end, whether it’s a race or 18-page reckoning essay. I always knew I wanted to write. I stumbled into Marist’s Journalism program as a second semester freshman, still unsure of what I really wanted to do. I was encouraged to join the creative writing minor, which would also fulfill my cognate. In that first creative writing class, I rediscovered my passion from high school, but on a more developed level. Every class opened a new door of expression for life.
                In high school, I struggled to write creatively, laden under literature courses and grammar courses. I was focused on the great authors of our time, which was interesting and thought provoking. But I still wanted to take my own chance at putting my own writing out there. Marist allowed me that opportunity and I took it. I had always created my own imaginative worlds as a child. There was a stable in my backyard and a crazy riding instructor. There was a prince who hid under my bed, watching the doorway to scare away illicit monsters. My best friend and I created grand adventures where we battled evil men or traversed a world much bigger than my back yard. I always wanted to create through my writing. Being an avid reader, I want to follow in the footsteps of my favorite authors. I want to entertain people and allow them the same escape and enjoyment that my collection of books has gifted to me.
                Marist trains the creative students in a special way. Every workshop allows both professional criticism and peer criticism. I studied the craft of journalism, non-fiction, poetry, fiction, playwriting, screenwriting, ekphrastic poetry, grammar, and speeches. We wrote and revised, wrote and revised. We read samples in each craft to point us on the right track. Non-fiction struck the strongest chord in me. It drew me in right from the start. The brutal honesty that it takes, but still maintaining a subtlety is something I hope to hone even further. However, my experience in all these fields combined has allowed me to blend them into my personal writing style and create a unique way of composing my pieces. Marist allowed me to discover new styles and then encouraged me to continually use them in the rest of my classes.
                Since I was eight, when asked what I was going to be, I always said a writer. I made a small literary newspaper for my grandfather called the “Story Times”, which included a short fiction piece and a comics section. Silly as it was, when I found it going through their house a few months ago, it made me remember where it all began and how it’s continued on. I’ve kept a daily journal since the first grade and still do. I write everything down. I write when I’m seething with rage, bouncing with joy, or sobbing in trepidation. It’s always been an escape, but it’s also been everything I’ve wanted to do. I know that I will always write, hopefully one day publishing a piece of work. But I also hope to possibly teach students in a way that they come to appreciate and enjoy the subtle complexities of writing the way my teachers taught me. I never considered teaching until I began my writing classes at Marist. But after several of them, I wanted to be able to share what I was learning with future students.
                I hope you consider me for your program as I see it as a way for me to continue on my writing journey and gain more of an appreciation for the great writing community around me. Not only will it expand and diversify my skills and reading exposure, it will take me further in discovering my own writing journey to one day share with others, hopefully through teaching. Thank you for your consideration.

2 comments:

  1. So, I know it's a little bit of a different animal, but I found these samples pretty helpful when writing my personal statement for law school. It seems like it's probably pretty similar to what you're being asked to do (basically, grabbing them and telling them a story about you and why you will fit into their program)
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/personal-statement-examples.html

    Just as an aside, I would suggest not opening with your name and school. I feel like the first sentence should draw them in, plus, the school already has that information on your application.
    But that's just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy :) Great comment. Hopefully more people see what you wrote too. I was wondering about my name and school. That link is also very helpful. I'll be posting a revision of my writing sample soon. That will be a huge help.

    ReplyDelete